3. Storage and use of information
- The College will store all records containing personal information securely and take all reasonable security measures to protect the information collected from unauthorised access, misuse or disclosure. Personal information will be stored in paper-based files that are kept in a secure location and electronically in a secure environment to which only authorised staff have access.
- The personal information held about individuals will only be used by the College to enable efficient student administration, report data to provide information about training opportunities, issue statements of attainment and qualifications to eligible students, and to maintain accurate and detailed records of student course participation, progress and outcomes. Information about international students may also be shared to promote compliance with the conditions of student visas and the monitoring and control of visas.
- The College may use the personal information provided by an individual to market other internal products and services to them. An individual may opt out of being contacted for marketing purposes at any time by contacting our office. Information will not be passed onto any third party marketing companies without the prior written consent of the individual.
4. Disclosure of information
- The College will not disclose an individual’s personal information to another person or organisation unless:
- They are aware that information of that kind is usually passed to that person or organisation.
- The individual has given written consent.
- The College believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious threat to the life or health of the individual concerned or another person.
- The disclosure is required or authorised by, or under, law.
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
- Any person or organisation to which information is disclosed is not permitted to use or disclose the information for a purpose other than for which the information was supplied to them.
- Personal information may be used or disclosed by the College for statistical, regulatory and research purposes. The College may disclose personal information for these purposes to third parties, including:
- Schools – for secondary student undertaking high school preparation education
- Employers – where students are enrolled in training paid for by their employer
- Commonwealth and State or Territory government departments and authorised agencies; such as the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), Department of Education and Training (DET), the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and the Tuition Protection Service (TPS).
- Organisations conducting student surveys.
5. Access to and correction of records
- Individuals have the right to access or obtain a copy of the information that the College holds about them including personal details, contact details and information relating to course participation, progress, certification and statements of attainment issued.
- Requests to access or obtain a copy of the records held about an individual must be made by contacting our office using the Request to Access Records Form. The individual must prove their identity to be able to access their records.
- There is no charge for an individual to access the records that the College holds about them; however there may be a charge for any copies made. Arrangements will be made within 10 days for the individual to access their records.
6. Complaints about privacy
- Any individual wishing to make a complaint or appeal about the way information has been handled within the College can do so by following the College’s Complaints and Appeals Policy and Procedure.