Being an international student means that you are away from your usual supports, such as family and friends, and it can be difficult to know who to talk to about your concerns.

You may be worried about your academic progress, visa or residency requirements or you may need time off due to sickness, or other exceptional circumstances.


Visa conditions

There are conditions attached to your student visa. Different students will have different conditions. These might include meeting course requirements, working restrictions or informing Cairns Business College of your current address.

Whatever, the conditions are, you need to be absolutely certain about what they mean and you need to comply with them or you risk losing your visa. Some of the more common conditions are described in this section.If you need clarification of your visa conditions contact: International services, Cairns Business College or Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Academic Performance and Attendance

You must satisfy the following program requirements (Condition 8202)

  • Condition 8202 – Meet course requirements:

    The visa holder must satisfy the requirements of course enrolment, course level, course progress and course attendance.

    Note: A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Go to for a list of registered courses and education providers.

    For information on Australian Qualification Framework, go to

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Government regulations state that all international students, and their dependants, must maintain OSHC during their stay in Australia. Your OSHC card may take some weeks to be issued but please note that you are covered from the day you arrive in Australia. This is important in case you require medical attention.

Work Rights Permit

  • Condition 8105: allows you to work 40 hours per fortnight, (other than work which is a registered requirement of your program), when your program is in session. When your program is not in session you can work an unrestricted number of hours.
  • Condition 8104: you are allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight, regardless of whether your program is in session or not.

Employment in Australia

If you would like to work in Australia, you need to apply for a student visa with permission to work, Condition 8105. An application for permission to work can only be made once you are in Australia and after you have commenced your studies. This will generally allow you to work 40 hours a fortnight (14 consecutive days) during semester and more hours during holidays.

You can apply for permission to work on line on

Workers in Australia require a Tax File Number. You can apply on-line on

Leave of Absence

You are not allowed to take Leave of Absence except on these grounds:

  • Illness with evidence of medical certificate, or
  • Exceptional compassionate circumstances, for example, .bereavement (death in family)
  • Cancellation of Enrolment)

If you cancel your enrolment you must leave Australia within 4 weeks or contact DIBP to discuss visa options. Note that cancellation of your enrolment will result in cancellation of your visa. (Contact Cairns Business College administration for more information or help regarding your visa conditions).

Academic Progress

Your visa conditions require that you complete your course of study within ‘minimum standard time’. This is usually the period of time issued on your visa. If you are unsure about your progress or are having difficulties with any of your subjects, you should contact the Director of Studies.

The sooner you get help, the more likely you will avoid problems with your visa. You are entitled to appeal against any academic assessment you have received and the College’s Student Services Officers can help you do so.


Attendance records are taken in all courses. You must let your teacher or administration know if you need to miss classes due to sickness or other exceptional circumstances. Cairns Business College has health and counselling services if you need them. Contact the Administration for information about what services are on offer.

Notification of Address and Change of Address

Notification details are stated in your visa. Check the details to avoid confusion. Condition 8533 requires that you notify your education provider (Cairns Business College administration) of your address in Australia within 7 days. You are also required to notify the Department Of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) in writing of a new address 2 days before you move, according to Conditions 8506. The College must also be notified within 7 days of change of accommodation.

Also, if there are any problems with your visa the Department will send you a letter, and in some cases you will only have 28 days to respond. If they do not hear from you within 28 days, they can automatically commence cancellation of your visa. Not receiving the information because you have moved is not considered an excuse.

If you go home during the semester break make sure you notify Administration office Cairns Business College. If you have problems with your visa you need to contact Cairns Business College Administration as soon as possible so that you can get legal advice.